Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Kinders on the GO!

We just wrapped up our unit on transportation and are about to dive into learning about SPRING! :) But before we do that, I wanted to share some things we did in my classroom.
 
First and foremost before beginning our learning, I asked my kiddos what they THOUGHT they knew about "transportation." I love when they don't have a clue! So much more fun to teach them about a topic. {Please pardon my messy handwriting!}
 
 
Then I checked out 24 books about transportation from the school library and let my kiddos do some "research." After giving them some time to look through these nonfiction texts, I gave them a square of paper and had them draw or write something that they noticed, thought was interesting, etc. You can see below that they saw all kinds of things! Labels, bicycles, airplanes, cars, hot air balloons, trucks, and more!

 
THEN in the following days we learned about transportation by sea....{and recorded all the things we learned!}


Did the same by air...
 


And land.... :)



 
 Along with all of this new learning, we were also discussing our opinions. We made a quick anchor chart {which I forgot to take a picture of..!} and read a few books like Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Williams. We then talked about how the pigeon was working so hard to convince the reader he should be able to drive the bus/stay up late. We talked about how an opinion is something that you feel and that you should tell why you feel that way. We took a crack at writing about our favorite kind of transportation and why and here are some of the results!

"I like plane because it goes fast."

"My favorite transportation is cars because they are fast."
 

 "I like cars because they are safe."
 

 "I like helicopters."

We are still working on the WHY we like things, but this was the first time we tried out opinion writing so I would say it went pretty well! :)
 
We also made some pretty cute trains to practice their last names. This was an idea I saw on Pinterest, but I switched it up and used it to practice their last names instead of their first.
 

 
I think they turned out pretty stinkin' cute!
 
Anyways... I'm EXHAUSTED! So I am out of here.
Happy Wednesday!
 
-Mrs. Briggs


No comments:

Post a Comment